In daily life, people rely more and more on electronic equipment, and the upgrading of electronic technology also means people have high expectations on the technological development of power supply. The following is the main classification of power management technology.
The power management semiconductor clearly emphasizes the location and function of the power management integrated circuit (power management IC, short for power management chip) in terms of the devices included.The power management semiconductor consists of two parts, namely, the power management integrated circuit and the power management discrete semiconductor devices.
There are many kinds of power management integrated circuits, which are divided into voltage regulation and interface circuit.The voltage regulator contains linear low voltage regulators (i.e., LOD), plus and minus output circuits, plus PWM switching circuits.Due to technological progress, the physical size of digital circuits in IC chips is getting smaller and smaller, so the working power supply is developing toward low voltage.Interface circuits for power management include interface driver, motor driver, power field effect transistor (MOSFET) driver, high voltage/high current display driver, etc.
Power management discrete semiconductor devices include some traditional power semiconductor devices, which can be divided into two categories.The other is the triode type, including the power bipolar transistor, the power field effect transistor (MOSFET) with MOS structure and the insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT).
To some extent, it is because of the development of power management IC that power semiconductor has been renamed as power management semiconductor.It is precisely because so many integrated circuits (IC) have entered the power field that people call the current power technology more as power management.
The leading part in the semiconductor of power management is the IC of power management.
1. AC/DC modulation IC.Low voltage control circuit and high voltage switching transistor are included.
2. DC/DC modulation IC.Includes boost/buck regulators, as well as charge pumps.
3. Power factor control PFC preset IC.Supply power input circuit with power factor correction function.
4. Pulse modulation or pulse amplitude modulation PWM/ PFM control IC.Controls for pulse frequency modulation and/or pulse width modulation to drive external switches.
5. Linear modulation IC (such as linear low voltage regulator LDO, etc.)Includes forward and negative regulators, as well as LDO modulators.
6. Battery charging and management IC.Includes battery charging, protection and power display IC, and "intelligent" battery IC for battery data communication.
7. Hot plugboard control IC (free from the influence of inserting or removing another interface from the working system).
8. Switching function IC of MOSFET or IGBT.
Among these power management IC, voltage regulation IC is the fastest developing and the largest output.Various power management IC's are basically related to some related applications, so more types of devices can be listed for different applications.
The technical trend of power management is high efficiency, low power consumption and intelligentization.
Efficiency improvement involves two different aspects: on the one hand, it wants to maintain the comprehensive efficiency of energy conversion, and on the other hand, it wants to reduce the size of equipment;On the other hand, the protection size remains unchanged and the efficiency is greatly improved.
In AC/DC (AC/DC) transformations, low on-state resistance meets the need for more efficient adapters and power supplies in computer and telecommunications applications.In terms of power circuit design, the energy consumption of standby power has been reduced to less than 1W and the power efficiency can be increased to over 90%.To further reduce the current power consumption, new IC manufacturing technology and breakthroughs in low-power circuit design are needed.